What is an industrial fan?
Industrial fans are widely used in industry – for controlling the temperature, exhausting the moisture, etc. Of course, they have some features that distinguish them from standard fans.
These industrial devices are made of high-tech metals, mostly of steel alloys which are known for their strength.
Due to the fact that industrial fans are made of stronger materials, their thickness is usually smaller than that of conventional fans.
Industrial fans are used in production. They are often used to ventilate large stores and warehouses, to exhaust harmful vapors from the working environment as well as for drying carpets in companies offering professional cleaning services.
Usually, there are two types – fixed and movable. Fixed industrial fans are part of the overall ventilation system, and the movable ones are used as already mentioned – for drying carpets – and they must be equipped with a metal grid covering their blades in order to prevent injury or damage.
How to fix problems that may arise in industrial fans?
The industrial process is connected with air pollution in the working environment. Therefore, each industrial branch has the responsibility in the first place to limit the number of pollutants and secondly – to make sure the air is purified to the definite working standards. Circulating air is much healthier than static, stagnant air. For this purpose companies use fans and air ducts. When their mechanism does not work properly or stops working completely, troubleshooting becomes top priority.
Starting points for troubleshooting:
1. Watch and listen while the fan is running whether it is too nosy. One of the most common complaints against huge industrial fans is connected with the noise levels. The first reason for this problem, which must be noted, is the vibration. When excessive vibrations appear this must be checked immediately.
2. Go to the running fan and put your hand on its body to get an idea of the severity of the vibration. Firstly, look at the base of the fan and follow carefully every movement in this area, no matter how mild it is. The pad may be misaligned or the very foundation of the device may have been unevenly fixed.
3. Check the tightness of the mounting bolts and screws, as well as of the bearings and connectors. Review each displaced or excessively worn out connector or bearing. Check the fan motor, if it is properly aligned, or if the assembly is unbalanced.
4. Check if the fan shaft is straight and centered. Look for evidence if it has been hit or damaged in any way. Examine the blades for fragments or dust accumulation as well as for excessive wear.
5. Check the dampers to see if they are closed and whether they function properly. They can become loose over time due to vibrations, until they stop functioning. Look for the presence of any other signs of excessive pressure in the system or airflow obstruction.
6. Analyze the effectiveness of the fan. Does it move the defined air quantity? Check the installation of the fan blade, if it does not work well. Make sure that it is not mounted at the back on the shaft and that it doesn’t rotate in the reverse direction. If the fan blade is not working fast enough, check the installation of the drive units to see if they are properly installed and whether they slow down the rotating part rather than accelerate it.
7. Check if the fan is properly lubricated and revise the period of time during which the device has worked.
You can use the following formula to calculate the motor power of the industrial fan: the average voltage x the average current x square root of 3 xthepower factor and finally divide by 1000. The power factor is the ratio between the real power to the full power in a circuit.
Energy consumption and price calculation
The working power of the motor can be used to find out how much energy is needed for an industrial fan and how much this device costs for one year. By multiplying the power by the operating hours you can calculate the energy used by the fan. By multiplying the used energy by the magnitude of the current you can determine the consumption of the fan for a year.
There are a number of ways in which it can be shown that the industrial fans system is working inefficiently: if the motors are often overloaded; if the devices are noisy and if there is excessive vibration; whether there is a need for frequent repair of pipelines – all this indicates that the fans are inefficient.
And finally – let’s list the types of industrial fans:
Industrial fans are similar to household fans, mounted on the ceiling of the building, with the difference that they have larger blades and motors, which are able to move the air much faster. The purpose of these devices is primarily to provide thermal comfort and ventilation for large areas of the enterprise.
They are very practical especially because they are effective and they do not take up valuable floor space as they are built into the wall of the building. They are powerful and have a large capacity of air movement. Their power is determined by two things: first, their blades are designed similar to the blades of a jet engine and second – they have large motors with direct drive. The drive motor may be either a belt one or equipped with a drive shaft. Another advantage of these devices is their security. In most cases they are installed high above the employees and are covered with reliable protective grids, making them very safe for any type of buildings.
They are usually placed on the floor of shops. They are large, with various power, but their main advantage is that they are portable – they can be moved to different locations, depending on where there is greatest need for air circulation at a particular time. Their height is adjustable and many of them can be rotated to 360 degrees.
Floor fans, as their name indicates, are placed on the floor but in contrast to those, which are on a stand, they take up more space. The positive thing here is that the diversity of models and sizes is much greater than that of stand fans. They can be the size of a household fan or they can be huge. Just like wall fans they may provide a powerful air current, with the advantage that they are movable and the air flow is directed much more precisely.
Water mist fans
These fans are relatively new on the market, with very good use in specific situations. They are connected to a water source and make fine water curtain together with the air flow. This type of device is great for places with high temperatures as the water gives good extra cooling effect that increases the effect of the airflow. Its disadvantage is that it cannot work close to appliances that are sensitive to water. It is very suitable for areas that are not air conditioned.
Generally there isa great variety ofindustrialfans – designed for mountingon building roofs or walls orfree-standingmodels for areasthat needmoreintenseairflow. It is up to you tomakethe best possiblechoice, andVikiwat Ltd. will help you inthis difficulttask!